This photo shows Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church. The church started out as a small wooden church in 1870. Less than a decade later it was rebuilt as a stone church. Then in 1910 the spires were added. In 1954 Pope Pius XII named the church a minor Basilica, 1 of just 54 in the United States at the time. Photo by TylerBrennen
This Photo Depicts the Durastic changes that occured at the intersection of Huntington Ave, Worthington St, and Smith St. Where there once was a cramped gas station now stands a 6-story glass and brick academic building, depicting the citys booming demand for space as the population increases.
Another change visible is that Worthington street, once barren with no greenery now is flocked with towering trees on either side, creating a much more residential, Back-bay feel to the adjacent brownstones.
Jason Fisch: Pictured below in a historic photo from 1890 is Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Mission Hill. This church's history leads back more than 140 years to when the original church was built in 1870. As seen in the historical image, the spires were not built with the original stone church, but were added later on in 1910. Due to a slope in the foundation the western tower, at 215 feet tall, is 2 feet taller than the eastern tower, at 213 feet tall. This area has been completely redeveloped as seen from the photos where the only common building between the two photos is the church.
This slider shows Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, also known as the "Mission Church." It is located on Tremont Street in Mission Hill and was first opened in 1870. It served as a "mission house" for priests that were traveling to different parts of Massachusetts and Canada. Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church is one of fifty-three basilicas in the United states and the oldest of the three that are located in Massachusetts. Looking at the pictures below you can see that nothing has changed to the architecture of the church.