In the past, this site was providing public transportation to Bostonians, however, over time it just became accessible for vehicles. Building typology changed over time to provide more housing units for residents of the city.
The historical photo of a parade going through Tremont Street was taken in 1933. The parade seems to have military background involved as man men in uniform can be seen in the photo. This section of Tremont Street and the apartment buildings in the background have not seemed to change much, structurally. Also, in the historical photo a train can be seen going through the middle of Tremont, and now there are no trains on Tremont today. By: Joey Cordeiro
Corner of West Newton St and Washington St. Original building intact but renovated. You can still see the first level window plan - especially the arch and windows next to it. The first floor "bulletin board" has now been converted into a restaurant. -Daniel Fein
Children in 1978 playing a game of pick up baseball at Plaza Betances in front of the “Betances Mural.” The mural was designed by Lilli Ann Killen Rosenberg and local children from the Villa Victoria housing project. The mural finished in 1979, one year after this image, and was designed to celebrate Puerto Rican history and culture. Photo by Bryon Kucharski
These images are a great example of the way the City of Boston has evolved over the past 50 years. The bus yard, buildings in the foreground, and Prudential Center remain largely unchanged, but new buildings are sprouting up in the background of the image. This is highlighted by the ongoing construction of the tower at One Dalton St in the center of the new image. -Clay Harman
Troy street corner taken in Feb 17 1915. Troy street is now nonexsitent and been replaces with traveler street which moved locations. The old troy street corner was attached to albany st.
The original building of the elevated tracks across Boston from little over a century ago have been finished and demolished. This resulting in a larger street with less clutter to it. Though no new buildings have truly been built there.
Eight streets playround was part the urban development project in bostons south end. The picture of the playground was taken in March 3rd 1968.
Below is a picture of West Point Cadets parading down Tremont Street in 1933. When compared to modern-day Tremont Street, it becomes apparent that no drastic changes have happened other than the removal of a train which once ran down that street. Additionally, it can be seen that new buisnesses set up shop in the place of those in 1933
Matthew Nguyen: The original photo was taken around the 1920s. Back then, rail lines were above ground and would cut through the city. Boston was the first city in America to have subways to help with the city's congestion. The new photo shows the removal of these railways and moved them underground. This is an important landmark for Boston today due to the central artery passing directly underneath.
Ben Cassola: Shown below is the historical and recreated photo at Rutland Square. Things that remained the same were the apartment complex shown to the left, the Prudential Tower, and the Union Church. Additionally, it is obvious that the trees all grew in and that the 111 Huntington building has been constructed.
Amber Rosacker: The original photo was taken in the early 19 hundreds.It use to be a line of store fronts. Somewhere in the last century it was undergo some transformations before becoming a tavern called "The Junction".
18-32 West 3rd Street and the corner of A street. The original was a warehouse what it was used for is unknow, and it is still currently a warehouse that is up for lease. Part of the back end of the original warehouse was turned into a small cafe. There were some changes in the buildings height after part of it got burnt from a fire.
Meg Ortega: The original photo was taken on the corner of Albany Street and Troy Street in 1915. Troy Street has since been changed to Traveler Street on account that many printing and newspaper companies, such as The Traveler were located in the area. The intersection is now home a luxury apartment complex called Troy Building, after Troy Street.
Michael Riley: This photo shows Blackstone Square from the corner of Shawmut Avenue and West Brookline Street. From around 1923, when the photograph was taken, to now, the brick housing block has undergone renovation and modernization. That being said, the new photo still resembles that old South Boston row housing typology. Blackstone Square looks completely unchanged, besides the addition of a fence.
Michael Riley: This photo shows the Cathedral of the Holy Cross from Washington Street opposite Malden Street looking north. From 1899 to now, the elevated railway has been torn down and replaced by bus routes. It is also noticeable that the buildings have undergone renovations or were rebuilt. In the old picture, the Church was the tallest structure, now that is clearly not the case.
Michael Riley: This photo shows Corner of Washington St. and West Newton St. and is adjacent to Blackstone Square. The photo is undated, however sitting out front of the dilapidated building is a 1975 Chevrolet Caprice Classic. That dates the photo to the late 70's, early 80's most likely. This building is interesting because it is fairly well preserved from its original state. The entire building has been gutted and remodeled with the addition of a Restaurant on the Ground floor, however the facade has remained relatively untouched since its conception.
Patrick Tierney: The photo below shows the change in the Boston skyline in 55 years. The original photo shows construction finishing on the Prudential Tower. In the foreground is the Cathedral of the Holy Cross finished in 1875. The after picture is the skyline in Boston in 2019. New to the skyline is 111 Huntington Ave which is the tall all glass building in front of the Prudential Tower. Elevated rail service has also been removed to the South End neighborhood.
The South Boston Army Base Pier is located in the Raymond L. Flynn Marine Park. Originally purchased by the U.S. Department of War in 1920, the base operated as a warehouse and also was used as a distribution facility for military goods and supplies during the second world war. However, after the war, the base's lack of activity lead to it's closing in 1974. The Boston Marine Industrial Park purchased the facility in the 1980s, and today is used as a terminal for the Black Falcon Cruise Company. -By: Ryan Brockway
Julian Pullo- The photo is from the late 1800's to early 1900's. Before Boston Medical Center existed there, there was Boston City Hospital. It served Boston until it merged with BMC.
Noah Smith: What appears to be an old, run down, out of use brick building on the corner of a dead street has been completely revitalized. The windows, all glass instead of boarded up, and the front of the building now has large store front windows advertising the high class restaurant inside.